Prostaglandin E2 (PGE2)
Prostaglandins are like hormones that act as chemical messengers, but do not move to other sites but work right within the cells where they are synthesized. Prostaglandin E2 or also known as dinoprostone is a naturally occurring prostaglandin that is used for medication. It is one of the most abundant metabolites of arachidonic acid, generated through an enzymatic cascade controlled by cyclooxygenase enzymes. Prostaglandin E2 was approved for medical use, it is one of the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system, the reason it is on the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines.
Physiological Effects of Prostaglandin E2
- Activation of the inflammatory response, production of pain, and fever. When tissues are damaged, white blood cells responds to the site and minimizes the tissue destruction, as prostaglandins are produced it suppresses the role of T-cell receptor signaling.
- A direct vasodilator, a smooth muscle relaxant and inhibits the release of noradrenaline from the sympathetic nervous system. When blood clots form and a blood vessel is damaged, Thromboxane stimulates constriction and clotting of platelets. Prostaglandin E2 inhibits platelet aggregation, thus Prostacyclin produces the effect.
- Prostaglandin E2 is involved in the induction of labor, it causes uterine contraction.
- Prostaglandin E2 stimulates osteoblasts to release factors that stimulate bone resorption by osteoclasts/
- Prostaglandin E2 induces fever.
- Induction of labor
- Bleeding after delivery
- Termination of pregnancy
- Newborn with ductus arteriosus
- Modulation of sleep and wake cycle
Enzyme Immunoassay (EIA) Kit
Enzyme Immunoassay is an in vitro quantitative assay kit. It is used to detect biological peptides or proteins based on the competitive enzyme immunoassay principle.
Prostaglandin E2 Enzyme Immunoassay Kit
The sensitivity of the EIA kit is 15.9 pg/mL and detects human Prostaglandin E2 in cell cultures supernatants, saliva, urine, plasma and serum without the interference of the other prostanoids.
Features and Benefits of Prostaglandin E2 Enzyme Immunoassay
The immunoassay test measures the target lipid with a negligible cross-reactivity with 20-25 related eicosanoid compounds tested, from < 0.1 to 2%. In each assay, a standard curve is run, precoated plates eliminate the coating step. All incubations are being proceeded at a room temperature, available microwell plate reader may be used and reagents are color coded for easy use. The results of the assay test will be available in 4 hours. Low Intra-assay and Inter-assay variability are shown in the performance characteristics. The linear standard curve and recovery of samples ranges from 99 to 111%.